Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Prayer for Gaza

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy1MZmDNB8j/ 

25 Oct 2023

Be so big that sky will learn Sky.
~ Alice Coltrane

creator god
god of abraham and moses
son of god
holy spirit
gods and goddesses of mountains and oceans
of trees and roots
rhizomatic god
gods and goddesses of wind and rain
beloved and terrifying goddess of volcanoes
destroyer and transformer
all named gods
and all unnamed gods
i call upon you
i wail and weep
across many oceans
i beseech you

make me sky
so expansive i cover all 140 square miles of gaza
a blue so dense neither cloud nor missile can penetrate
a fearless sky
so massive i absorb and dissolve all vengeance
and transform all terror

make me rain
let me wash your wounds
let me soak into parched earth
let me pour down until
ash and cinder become rivers

make me wind
hear me wail the songs
of your grandmothers
let me stroke your skin
and wrap around you like a dervish
let me lift you and carry you to safety

make me so big
that i cannot remember my own name
so big that my ancestors
become yours
let me hold your multitudes and mine

make my tears an ocean
turn my burning rage into sails
for ships that merge with stars
make horizons blur until ocean becomes sky

make me mountains
rising out of both earth and ocean
make me lava
flowing into peninsulas and islands
expanding continents
that tremble
shake
quake
rock

make me an `ōhi`a lehua tree
growing from the hardened lava
let my branches spread
and explode into succulent foliage
let my red spiky blossoms
remind you
of what is possible

make me your home
let me feed your family
knead me into bread
make me gushing spring water
let the water table
fill again and again
and again

make me empty
fill me with your stories
i will hold your dreams and nightmares
i will cradle them
and metabolize them
into fuel
to run incubators
cook dinners
and light lanterns

creator god
god of abraham and moses
son of god
holy spirit
gods and goddesses of mountains and oceans
of trees and roots
rhizomatic god
gods and goddesses of wind and rain and volcanoes
i call upon you
i beseech you

No comments: